Sunday, August 12, 2012

You know me...well, you think you do

Do you ever sometimes feel like no matter what you've achieved or accomplished in life, those who knew you ages ago or have known you for a long time just don't take you seriously?  That's how I feel when I come across an alumni newsletter from a school I've gone to or when I encounter fellow alumni who I never really cared for (these days I generally only associate with the alumni I was actually friends with back in the day).  That's how I used to feel when finding old schoolmates on Facebook a few years back (I have since deleted most of them).  That's how I used to feel in friendships or other relationships that were going nowhere (I have since cut off communication with these negative influences).

The thing is, once certain people get to know you a certain way, their mind will not be open to any changes that occur.  On the other hand, people who have known you more recently, but more intimately, are the ones who really know you better for who you really are now, not who you were ages ago, and not who they feel like perceiving you to be.  Your whole outlook on life is influenced by the people you choose to associate with.  Thus, you might as well associate with those who actually respect you.

John 6: 41-51

No comments:

Post a Comment