Monday, February 27, 2012

Matchmaker

Consideration for your fellow man goes a long way.  However, it goes beyond just being "not bad" to others.  It involves actively doing some good as well.

Just the other day I hung out at a pub with two of my fraternity brothers.  I knew the both of them from before but they had never met each other.  They were from different universities.  In a very short period of time they were talking to each other like old friends.

Last summer I was invited to go on a short hike in New Hampshire, which included Mass, with a group from Church.  Most of these people were based around Boston and I do know a number of people from Church around there.  I also know a number of people from Church in southern New Hampshire so I invited them to come along as well since the hike was in New Hampshire.  The groups intermingled quite well, including people from both regions getting to participate in some of the Mass parts - the laypeople's parts, that is.  At the very least, the Facebook world became a little bit smaller and more intimate after that day.

A few years ago, I did not have any plans for the Super Bowl so I called a female friend from the Boston area.  She and her fiance were going to go to the house of a mutual friend of ours in Lowell and recommended that I check it out.  Well, I had another friend, also engaged although his fiance was out of town at the moment, who did not have plans either so we both went to Lowell.  He did not know any of these other people before this evening.  Now, a few years later, he and his wife are very close friends with my aforementioned female friend and her husband and they meet regularly in a group with other young married couples.

You never know when or how you might touch the lives of others.  No good deed goes unrewarded.  Each of us individually is in a unique position to make a difference in the world around us.  So let's not just be considerate to our fellow man, let's reach out to him as well.

Matthew 25: 31-46

No comments:

Post a Comment