Monday, March 05, 2012

Age Ain't Nothing But A Number

A positive attitude goes a long way.  It influences your whole outlook on life which in turn influences how you're generally perceived by the people around you.  I make it a point to live my life like there's always room for change and there's always a potential new adventure ahead.  I make it a point to avoid becoming "set in my ways."  As a result, I tend to feel, and therefore appear, much younger than what many expect for someone my age.

Still, there are people who resort to asking me my age rather than just getting to know me first and it's because they have a personal agenda.  They want to tell me how to live my life, where I should be in life at certain ages, or what my childhood memories are supposed to be.  Rather than being cheap and judgmental, they instead ought to consider the fact that different people reach different stages of their lives at different ages.  What's more?  There is no set sequence either.  The order in which these things occur is different for every different individual.  Therefore there is no such thing as an entire person being "behind" or "ahead" because that would depend upon what part of someone's life you're examining.

Sure, the nature of some relationships does necessitate knowing the ages of the others involved, but again, get to know them first.  People who ask me my age in the first day or first few days of knowing me are generally people I will never meet again, even when opportunities are plentiful.  There's a reason for that.  So if you want to get to know me, leave your personal agenda at the doorstep, quit trying to pigeonhole and categorize me in terms of age, relationship status, or profession, and choose instead to just chill out, spend some quality time, have some good conversation, and be open-minded.  It will enrich your life.  Depending upon who you are, it might enrich my life as well.

Luke 6: 36-38

No comments:

Post a Comment