Thursday, March 01, 2012

Dead Gardens

I weathered another storm, but it's not the last one.  I had a little bout with writer's block this week, as evidenced by the 4am blog posts, which were LATE by more than 4 hours.  Eating grits and waffles at Waffle House (or Denny's) at that hour is pretty cool in a bizarre sort of way.  Trying to write the previous day's blog post after having dozed off for a few hours fully clothed and with contact lenses still on - not so much.

Over the past few months I have prayed the Rosary each day more often than not.  During these last few days I did not even start the Rosary.  Not much else really got done either - chores, going to the gym, etc.  Writer's block can be all-consuming, frustrating, and anxiety-inducing.  Given the fact that we are only slightly into Lent made it seem like a really bad omen as well.

I was initially tempted to just post a YouTube video of the song "Dead Gardens" by Nightwish, or just copy and reprint the lyrics.  It would have been an easy enough blog post.  "Dead Gardens" was a song written by [keyboard player and primary songwriter] Tuomas Holopainen that was reportedly about writer's block.  But upon watching the video on YouTube - one of those fan-made videos with lyrics - I felt that the song made writer's block out to be the end of the world or life as we know it or at the very least something either permanent or very long-term.  In other words, it seemed a bit too melodramatic for the occasion.

I felt that I would get out of this funk fairly soon.  In the meantime, however, it seemed like I was burning the candle at both ends with my odd sleep schedule and the dreaded feeling of falling behind in everything else I was trying to do.  Even with a lousy prayer life, I prayed that I would get back on track and that I would be able to keep my promise all the way through Lent.

We are still in the very early bit of Lent but I think it's safe to say that, at the very least, I got through the week.  I have all weekend to worry about Friday through Sunday and maybe even get a head start on Monday.  It's really only Tuesday through Thursday that can be a challenge and today is already Thursday.  Asketh and thou shalt receiveth.

Matthew 7: 7-12

No comments:

Post a Comment